Monday, March 2, 2009

The Oldest Theatre in the West

Tacoma Little Theatre is 90 years old this season making it TLT the oldest theatre west of the Mississippi -- right here in Tacoma. The theatre has been in its current location for over half a century. During the end of my first week at TLT, I brought my daughter Sydney to the theatre and we explored. TLT has some amazing costumes stored in little slivers of rooms, a high perched hat room with ancient hats – all lovingly stacked and labeled. There is a faint sweet smell of an entire century in those rooms. The tangible remains of nearly a century of theatre by and for the community.

There is a photo display in the TLT Lobby depicting shows from the past 90 years. Those images hold lessons for us today. It is interesting to note that during the great depression the theatre seemed to be thriving. When times are hard – people still attend theatre. Folks like to go out before and after seeing a good play. That boosts the local economy with local money.

So many stories are shared here – and created here. Family stories. Stories about our community.

Just last week, Pad Finnigan walked into the theatre. Pad is on the Lakewood City Council, and I know him from my years working with the city of Lakewood as a member of the Lakewood Arts Commission. Pad and his wife Chris (also on the Arts Commission) are both great supporters of the arts.

After he congratulated me on my new position he told me, “I heard there was a picture of my mother up in the lobby. My mom acted here when she was young .. . my parents met here.”

Pad’s story is a perfect example of deep roots TLT has in this community. For nearly a century this organization has inspired our citizens to dream, walk in another person’s shoes, to form friendships, and even fall in love. This theatre is filled with stories – I look forward to hearing them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment